Thursday, March 26, 2009

Clayton - The donor hero







Clayton did fabulously. He was a stem-cell making machine. He received 4 shots of Neupogen each morning Saturday through Tuesday. The shots caused a lot of bone aches, particularly in the larger bones. He described it as worse than the worst flu he's ever had.

On Wed morning, he received 2 Neupogen shots and then they began the harvesting process. He had to lay in a bed perfectly still for 4 hours. They took the blood from his right arm and ran it through an apheresis machine and re-infused the blood into his left arm. He came through it like a trooper.

The goal for a stem cell transplant is 5 million stem cells. They are willing to accept 3 million. Clayton produced 7.33 million. They were infused into Ceomi over about 30 minutes. She did great. No reaction at all. Since they were able to harvest so many cells, there isn't a need to do a 2nd harvest. Clayton will rest for a few days and head home to Wisconsin once he is cleared by the doctors.

2 comments:

  1. I ain't no HERO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay- I have to share & hope that you find this as funny as I did. I was scrolling down the page and thought "oh good! pictures! I haven't seen any pictures of Ceomi through all this." Meaning...I was expecting a picture of C. I was also expecting C to look a little different - so when I scrolled down & glanced at Clayton I thought for a second that it was Ceomi! I had to look closely to figure out exactly what had gone wrong. =) Glad to say that you are as beautiful as ever Ceomi and I was very relieved that chemo did NOT give you facial hair!! =) I laughed out loud at myself.

    Okay - dumb story, but thought you might appreciate it. Love you! -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete