Thursday, March 26, 2009

End of Chemo & looking forward to brighter days

So far the hospitalization has continued to go well. I feel good and the doctors are pleased with the progress I've made. Or as they like to say, "No issues, no problems, we're happy." I enjoyed a visit from Mary Broadwell, who attends at the Embry Hill congregation on Tuesday. She shared her stem cell transplant experience with me.

I've also been able to reconnect with Lindsay Wolfgang Mast and Krisiana Burk (friends from FC). I've really enjoyed being able to spend time with them again. I've appreciated Laura's company over the last few days too. I'm looking forward to a visit with Caroline Gray who will be spending a few days and then a highlight will be seeing Ben for the weekend. It will be a while before I can see my girls due to my dropping counts but we talk every day. My Aunt Elaine is flying in this afternoon to spend 2 weeks. She'll be with the girls for most of it while Laura is with me at the hospital.

Chemo concluded on Monday and I had an official Day of Rest on Tuesday prior to the Wed. transplant. Hopefully, I have experienced my last chemotherapy ever. It wanted me to remember it so it went out with a bang. Monday was a bit intense but I am thrilled to hopefully have it forever done.

Now, we wait for the stem cells to engraft. My blood counts will plummet in the next few days as the chemo accomplishes its task of demolishing my immune system. This paves the way for Clayton's cells to come in and save the day. 7 million tiny cells riding to the rescue.

The next 2 weeks should encompass some of the roughest days as my immune system disappears and then works to re-establish itself. The mucositis that was such a plague during my induction chemo may return during these days. Please pray that the symptoms that I experience will respond well to treatments and that any mucositis will be mild. I realize that so many having been praying for me and for my family and I am so grateful for every remembrance.

Today marks 3 months from my diagnosis. We are amazed that we have gone from diagnosis to hopefully a disease-ending transplant in such a short time. We know that so many others with this disease struggle for so long to find a donor. We are so grateful for the healing hand of God.

5 comments:

  1. Daniel is still just a little praying machine. He keeps praying that you would feel better every day and that "her disease would just go away and never come back". We love you!
    -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ceomi,
    My dad is a minister and his whole church is praying for you. My brother is a minister also and that is a whole other church praying for you along with my prayers
    Hugs
    Tonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi kiddo,
    The girls and I are doing good so far. Miss you and I'm glad to hear you are hanging in there, wherever "there" is. Love Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby (Anderson) EdwardsMarch 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

    Ceomi,
    I am so glad to hear that things have gone well for you. I have been checking this blog to keep up w/ you. Please know that you, Ben, and the girls have been in my thoughts and prayers! You look great- and I look forward to many more positive post about your recovery! Libby (Anderson) Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey There!
    The daffodils under the tree in your front yard have bloomed and are just beautiful. It's as if they are saying "God is in His Heaven, all is right with the world!"
    Keeping you lifted up in prayer and will be in touch soon.
    -Kim Respess

    ReplyDelete